I. Legal Framework – With regard to the implementation of its activities in
1.UN Security Council Resolution 1308 (2000)
2.UN Security Council Resolution 1528 (2004)
3.UN Security Council Resolution 1983 (2011)
II. Unit’s Mandatee
Chief of the Unit,
- 01 United Nations Volunteer, HIV/AIDS Trainer;
- 02 United Nations Volunteers, HIV/AIDS Counsellors ;
- 02 National Officers – HIV/AIDS Trainers ;
- 01 UNPOL deployed in the Unit ;
- 01 National Expert Consultant IEC/CCC who works on UNOCI/UNFPA project on HIV/AIDS prevention with the peacekeeping Force and the local communities;
- 01 Administrative Assistant.
Mandate of the HIV/AIDS Unit:
- Integrate a policy of the fight against Aids within UNOCI in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 1308. In this regard the HIV/AIDS Unit has to carry out the following:
- Develop and implement a strategy for the fight against HIV/AIDS for the personnel of the Mission. The strategy must be developed in close collaboration with all the Mission’s Sections, DPKO (Department of Peacekeeping Operations) and UNAIDS.
- Reduce the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by and to the Mission’s civilian and military personnel from the moment of their arrival until their departure by carrying out a sensitisation programme and training of peer-educators.
- Set up structures necessary for the promotion of voluntary HIV/AIDS testing (advice and testing) in the Mission in close collaboration with the Medical Unit.
- Advice all contingents on all issues linked to HIV/AIDS and on the strategies to establish a national programme for the fight against HIV/AIDS.
- Contribute to the mobilisation of funds for the implementation of the programme for the fight against HIV/AIDS initiated by the Mission in co-ordination with the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO), as well as UNAIDS, UNFPA, WHO and UNDP. This mobilisation must focus on all issues linked to HIV/AIDS.
- Establish contacts and networks with different partners with the aim of promoting collaboration and facilitation for the implementation of a global strategy for the fight against HIV/AIDS.
- Prepare, facilitate and maintain a database of activities and issues linked to HIV/AIDS within the framework of the Mission’s activities.
III. The main axis of the fight against HIV/AIDS in UNOCI
The fight against HIV/AIDS in UNOCI is based on the following :
- Integration and reinforcement of the HIV/AIDS dimension in the Mission
- Integration of the HIV/AIDS dimension in the DDR process
- Strengthening of collaboration with the UN agencies in Côte d’Ivoire
- Support the implementation of the National Strategic Plan 2006-2010 for the fight against HIV/AIDS
IV. Principal activities
The main activities to be carried out by the HIV/AIDS Unit are as follows:
- Sensitisation of the Mission’s civilian and military personnel on HIV/AIDS ;
- Training of peer educators ;
- Provide counselling and voluntary testing; - Support projects together with partners.
- The Ministry for the fight against HIV/AIDS ;
- The Ministry of Health and Public Hygiene ;
- The Ministry of Defence;
- United Nations agencies through the HIV/AIDS thematic group;
- Bilateral and multilateral partners;
- Civil Society.